Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Welcome, jazz and blues lovers!

Hey folks,

Welcome to BWJAZZANDBLUES. Based in South Florida, I've been covering the jazz and blues scenes for various publications for nearly 20 years. In that time, I've interviewed everyone from Milt Jackson and Betty Carter to B.B. King and Buddy Guy, gained invaluable insights into the music, drank way too much Canadian whiskey and amassed a floorboard-sagging collection of CDs and LPs.

Right now, I'm still recovering from the remarkable Chicago Blues Fest, which took place June 5-8 at the sprawling Grant Park. Packed with great old-timers such as Little Willie Littlefield, Piano C. Red and the seemingly inexhaustible T-Model Ford, and acts you don't often see outside Chicago, the event is one of a kind; this year was my 11th. Of course, jazz was also on the menu, as I made late-night forays to Fred Anderson's Velvet Lounge and the venerable Andy's, where I talked shop to the wee hours with saxophonist Frank Catalano and his excellent rhythm team.

A full account of my Chicago rambles will appear here soon, as well as CD and concert reviews, previews and interviews. You can also find my ramblings in the pages of Jazziz magazine (Jazziz.com), Hot House (Hothouseflorida.com) and the Sun-Sentinel (Sun-sentinel.com). I hope to stimulate conversation with fellow jazz and blues lovers and welcome any comments and suggestions at Bobweinberg@mac.com.

No comments: