Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Found my MOJO

I've been trying to get my office into some semblance of order for about, oh, six months now. I just managed to sort through 10 years' worth of City Link magazines that had formed along one wall, and I'm now delving into the boxes that contain at least that many years' worth of accumulated notes, press releases, CDs, cassettes (remember them?) and old magazines.

While excavating last night, I came across an old issue of MOJO, the Brit music mag, and stayed up way too late reading in-depth articles about Tusk era Fleetwood Mac and the glory days of Gil Scott Heron. Anyway, MOJO also ran a short feature in which they asked performers as diverse as Siouxsie Sioux and Dr. Ralph Stanley a handful of questions that I found quite revealing about their musical tastes. It also got me to thinking that as a journalist, I often ask these types of questions in interviews, but I never get to answer them. (Yeah, yeah, poor me. No forum except a column that ran for eight years in City Link and another one that appears monthly in Jazziz.) So, here are my responses to the MOJO quiz, as reported by, well, me:

What music are you currently grooving to?

Ah, thanks for asking! The Talking House label has just released the first three volumes of its excellent Blueprints of Jazz series, which have been in heavy rotation here in the jazz and blues bunker. Killer straight-ahead jams by drummer Mike Clark's sextet, with Christian McBride on bass and Donald Harrison on alto (Vol. 1); tenor saxophonist Billy Harper's octet, featuring the brilliant spoken-word artistry of Amiri Baraka, who traces the roots of black music from its African origins to 52nd Street and beyond (Vol. 2); and drummer Donald Bailey's quintet grooving high on the hardbop with a couple of heavy cats in tenor man Odean Pope and trumpeter Charles Tolliver (Vol. 3).

What, if push came to shove, is your all-time favourite album?

Again, great question, even if you are resorting to British spellings. I'd have to say John Coltrane's A Love Supreme is one of a few albums I can return to again and again and never get tired of hearing it. The suite of songs is so rich and beautiful, played by one of the best ensembles in jazz (Trane, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones), and deeply moving. Trane's playing reveals his utter confidence in a higher power but also seems to be searching for answers to existential questions.

What was the first record you ever bought? And where did you buy it?

The first records I remember picking out on my own were 45s of "Welcome Back, Kotter" and the theme to "Happy Days." I had just turned 10, and my next door neighbor's dad ran a record store. So, for my birthday, he invited me to the store to select my gift. I had no idea at the time that John Sebastian had been the lead singer of Lovin' Spoonful, but I liked his voice and the urban vibe of the opening "Kotter" credits. Also, I was really into the '50s doo-wop sound, which seemed to have a resurgence in the early to mid '70s with groups like Sha-Na-Na, who even had their own TV show. Certainly, "Happy Days" did its share to boost nostalgia for that era. I also remember thinking boy, that Potsie sure could sing!

Which musician have you ever wanted to be?

Keith Richards.

What do you sing in the shower?

Well, this morning, I worked through an early Dylan medley. But depending on my mood, I like to belt out tunes by Chicago, Little River Band, The Commodores, Steely Dan, The Doobie Bros., Poco, John Prine, Chris Smither, Ted Hawkins and all manner of blues, jump swing and R&B. It's a great act, really. You should catch it sometime. (Bring your own soap.)

What is your favourite Saturday night record?

Miles Davis' Kind of Blue has that slinky, nocturnal energy that gets me going and anticipating what the night will bring.

And your favourite Sunday morning record?

Charlie Parker With Strings. Sunday paper, big ol' mug of coffee and Bird caressing "Just Friends" and "Autumn in New York" with that sumptuous orchestra behind him. About as good as it gets.

No comments: